New Member’s Weekend 2019
On the weekend of 2nd/3rd November 2019 we will be hosting an event for prospective new members, click here to see the 2019 flyer.
The weekend is open to everyone interested in taking up caving with the Shepton and to see what makes us the best caving club on Mendip.
If you are unable to make the weekend, don’t worry, meeting and caving with the Shepton can be done all year, click here to contact our Membership Secretary, Andy.
FAQ information for the event can be found at FAQs page
If you think the Shepton Mallet Caving Club (SMCC) might be for you then click here to contact the membership secretary , arrange to come caving and get to know us. We have regular trips both on Mendip and away to the other caving regions of the UK. It is usually best to initially come on a home meet when usually there are more members around. See the events calendar for caving meets.
Joining the SMCC brings with it several member benefits.
- A group of people to safely explore the underground
- Receipt of permits and/or keys to locked caves as part of access conditions
- Use of club equipment (e.g. ladders, ropes)
- Staying at the club hut at membership rates
- Club Newsletter, published 4-5 times per year
- Use of the club library
- Club Journal, published 2-3 times per year
For further information regarding membership or to apply please click here to contact the membership secretary who will send you an application form to complete.
An example of Mendip underground
- Acceptance for probationary membership will be considered at a club committee meeting, see calendar for dates.
- There is a six month minimum probationary period before full membership will be considered.
- Prospective members are usually required to participate in club activities in order to get to know members.
- Applications for full membership must be proposed and seconded by full members of the Committee.
- Full membership is voted by the members at the May annual general meeting.
- Membership is open to all people over fourteen (under eighteens must have parent or guardian consent) and you must adopt and adhere to Club's Rules and Constitution.
Annual Membership Rates, correct as of July 2019.
- Members that are active cavers including BCA insurance cover through SMCC- £50 (£45)
- Members that are active cavers but have organised BCA insurance cover through another club or directly - £33 (£28)
- Members that are non-active cavers - £39 (£34)
- Members that are student/junior - £25 (£20)
(Note, there is an early bird discount of £5 for renewal by 31 July, discounted rates shown in brackets)